Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Interview. Sara Sani

Sara Sani is an Italian freelance photographer based in Barcelona. For her the photography is a process based on observation, collection, intuition, criticism, sarcasm, humour, obsession, lust and desire. Click on Read More to read the all interview and see more photos.

Who you are? 
I'm a 26 years old italian girl that lives in Barcelona
How do you describe your artistry?
I'm self-taught and I found in photography the way to communicate with others.
What do you live for?
I live of few essential things. I try to live my life as humble as I can. I think I can't work a regular job because I don't take well to strict authority.

When do you start see the world through a lens? What kind of necessity?
When I was little my mother collected antique bellows cameras, I played with them and I guess that's when I began see things through a lense. When I started taking pictures at first I felt the need to share my experiences then I thought I could cultivate my imagination. It's a process based on observation, collection, intuition, criticism, sarcasm, humour, obsession, lust and desire.


What kind of things inspire you in the life?
The environment that surrounds me, I dig and filter what I need. I'm an obsessive observer of the world even if sometimes I try to alienate myself.


Do you shoot in analogic or digital?
Only with films.


What kind of photographers inspire you?
I admire the work of Joseph Szabo that documented the everyday life of american teenagers during the '70s and '80s. I also like Roberta Bayley and Janette Beckman that shot the punk-rock music scene and the early hip-hop scene in the '80s. Peep their stuff.


What are you working on?
I'm working with Marcel Veldman of Fluff magazine on a couple of different projects, I was like "Whhhaaattt?!" when Marcel wrote me.
I've been also contacted by Uno, a spanish skateboarding mag, to take part of the restyling of the magazine and be in charge of the photographic content.
I'm completely stoked about these projects because they bring together all my interests


Do you think there is a place for you in the photography's world in a period where all kind of young creative improvise theirself? How do you approach?
I'm just going to stay true to myself, do what I like and improve my skills.


What's most rewarding photos?
None in particular. Maybe the one that has more views on my flickr page, is the one with the hands of Anna Parini and her new tattoos.


The unreachable's subject...
Nothing is unreachable with your imagination.


Your portraits are about girls, are you full of girlfriends that you love shoot or do you see in the woman figure something missing in the man one?
All the girls that I shot for some not commissioned work was because they asked me to take pictures of them. They told me they liked my vintage aesthetics in photography. Of course I'd like to shot guys too!


No comments:

Post a Comment